Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo is spectacular and will certainly put you in the holiday spirit. It’s so good it took second place in the Best Zoo Lights in the US by USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice contest, beating out 18 other zoos in the nation.
The Toledo Zoo’s Lights Before Christmas celebration came in first. The rankings were based on votes from USA Today readers, who chose from a pool of 20 nominees.
Detroiters did a great job voting. When we first published the story about the contest on November 10 the Detroit Zoo was in fourth place. Your votes pushed it into second.
There’s still time to enjoy Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo. It’s open from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Dec.15-23 and then again Dec. 26-31. You can purchase tickets here for $10.
Bundle up and get ready to ooh and aah. You’ll walk through a wonderland with five million LED lights and some 200 animal sculptures. Be sure and take the kids to watch Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in a 4-D theater. There’s also live entertainment, ice carving, food, photos with Santa and various arts and crafts activities.
Here are the other zoos that made the Top 10 listed by their rankings:
- St. Louis Zoo
- Indianapolis Zoo
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs
- Phoenix Zoo
- Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, S.C.
- Denver Zoo
- Los Angeles Zoo
- Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago
These zoos were in the contest but did not rank in the top 10:
- Cincinnati Zoo
- Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in Columbus, Ohio
- Houston Zoo
- Memphis Zoo
- Oakland Zoo – Oakland, Calif.
- Oregon Zoo in Portland, Ore.
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma, Wash.
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo in Washington, D.C.
- Utah Hogle Zoo ín Salt Lake City
- Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle
If you’d like to read more about zoos in the contest click here.
– Photos courtesy of Mark M. Gaskill / Detroit Zoo