If you’re getting ready to ooh and aah at the holiday lights at the Detroit Zoo this year, that’s great. They are spectacular.
You can also help the display be named the Best Zoo Lights in the US by USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice, by voting once a day until noon on Monday, December 5. Click here to vote for Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo.
Don’t just vote. Don’t miss it. You can purchase tickets here for $10. It’s $13 at the gate. The show display is November 18-20, 25-27; December 1-4, 8-11, 15-23, 26-31 and is open 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
The Detroit Zoo as a one of 20 zoos in the contest. Right now our zoo is in fourth place. The zoo in Indianapolis has the top spot followed by St. Louis and Toledo. Let’s move our zoo up to the No. 1 spot!
Here’s what USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards says about Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo.
“At Wild Lights, the holiday lights festival put on by the Detroit Zoo, visitors can gape at more than five million LED lights and some 200 animal sculptures or watch Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in a 4-D theater. Wild Lights also offers live entertainment, ice carving, food, photos with Santa and various arts and crafts activities.”
Here are a few pictures from last year’s Wild Lights.
The winner will be announced on Friday, December 9.
Here are the other 19 zoos in the competition:
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs
- Cincinnati Zoo
- Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in Columbus, Ohio
- Denver Zoo
- Houston Zoo
- Indianapolis Zoo
- Lincoln Park Zoo in ChicagoLos Angeles Zoo
- Los Angeles Zoo
- Memphis Zoo
- Oakland Zoo – Oakland, Calif.
- Oregon Zoo in Portland, Ore.
- Phoenix Zoo
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma, Wash.
- Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, S.C.
- Saint Louis Zoo
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo in Washington, D.C.
- Toledo Zoo
- Utah Hogle Zoo ín Salt Lake City
- Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle
– Photos by Mark M. Gaskill, Detroit Zoo