Who needs Dancing With the Stars? We have our own dancing stars right here in Detroit and they are winning their own version of the mirror ball.
Earlier this month students and instructors from Michigan’s only Fred Astaire Dance Studio took home five first place world champion wins and a third place at the annual Fred Astaire World Championships in Las Vegas.
They danced among more than 700 people from more than 70 Fred Astaire Dance Studios nationwide gathered at the Bellagio Hotel.
The winners included:
- Cheryl Angelelli of Clinton Township and director of PR & marketing for the Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan – 1st place Showcase Performance
- Charlene Proctor of Bloomfield Township and owner of The Goddess Network – 1st place Smooth Open Championship and 1st place Smooth Open Scholarship
- Uda Shallop of Bloomfield Township – 1st place Top Female Bronze Student
- Dance instructors Yuliya Sinevych and Tamerlan Gadirov of Waterford Township – 1st Place Professional Closed Rhythm
- Dance instructors Yuliya Lukina and Viktor Tkachenko of Waterford Township – 3rd Place Professional Raising Star Rhythm
- Dance instructor Tamerlan Gadirov of Waterford Township – 3rd Place Top Teacher
“I am very proud of our students and instructors,” says Evan Mountain, co-owner of Fred Astaire Dance Studio with his wife, Lada. “It is exciting to seeing how our Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Bloomfield Hills, representing the metro Detroit area, can compete and win against some of the best ballroom dancers in the country. We have amazing dance instructors that raise our students to a higher level of dancing while making it fun.”
You don’t have to be pro or a semi-pro to dance, so give it a try. It’s simply just good for you.
The Fred Astaire Dance Studios point out with dance:
- Your cardiovascular system improves, your muscle tone increases, you burn calories and flexibility, strength, and balance increase.
- Your confidence grows and you feel more creative, motivated and energetic.
- You learn to express your feelings through your body movements with passion and flair
- You meet new people
- You find an enjoyable escape from your normal daily routine, plus a chance to relax, relieve stress, and concentrate on yourself
- You have more excitement in your life and you will be surrounded by artistic, cheerful people who make learning a pleasurable and rewarding experience
The Fred Astaire Dance Studio of Bloomfield Hills is the largest ballroom dance studio in Michigan. It was opened in 2005 by Evan and Lada Mountain and is part of a nationwide franchise that requires daily training for its teachers, who are dedicated to teaching dance full-time.
Private lessons, group lessons and dance parties are open to the public, featuring students ranging in age from teens to retirees and seniors. If you want to put your dancing shows on you can learn more at http://www.fredastaire.com/bloomfield-hills/ or by calling 248-454-1715. The studio is located at 2172 Franklin Road in Bloomfield Hills.
– Photos courtesy of Fred Astaire Dance Studio of Bloomfield Hills. Lead photo shows Charlene Proctor and her instructor Viktor Tkachenko receiving the trophy for their first place in smooth open championship.