By Jenna Stanek
For 21 years Central Detroit Christian Community Development Corporation (CDC) has been dedicated to central Detroit communities and local residents. The organization strives to empower people and create positive opportunities through multiple services and programs allowing residents in the community to reach their highest potentials.
Within this last year the CDC purchased a former synagogue built in 1924 located at 1550 Taylor (just north and west of Henry Ford Hospital) for a neighborhood community center for the purpose of housing all youth and family programs, housing programs, and to provide a collective workspace for their staff.
The building purchased also had a second act for a half century as the Tried Stone Baptist Church. It has sat vacant for the last five years and is much in need of a total renovation.
Currently the CDC is raising funds online for the renovation. In only six days they have already raised more than $30,000 towards its $50,000 goal. If that goal is met the CDC will receive a $50,000 match from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and the Michigan State House Development Authority, allowing them to reach their ultimate goal of $100,000 to use towards phase one of the renovations.
Additional future goals for the building allow for day care services, and social services for low to moderate income families in the surrounding community. Social services to include individual and family counseling, parental counseling, and a resource center for job training for teens and adults. If that wasn’t enough the building already has a gymnasium and a built out medical clinic space that should be functioning, according to the CDC, by 2017.
If you are interested in donating or learning more about the project, here’s the link: https://www.patronicity.com/project/1550_community_center
– Reprinted with permission from Daily Detroit