With everything going on in the world today sometimes you just have to find a party that keeps you together while you let yourself go.
That’s what Charivari Detroit plans to do at this year’s Electronic Dance Music Festival, Charivari Detroit 2016, on Belle Isle Saturday, August 6 and Sunday, August 7. The festival features feature two days of electronic music in all its forms – house, techno, disco, trance, ddm, UK garage, and more all from Detroit-based DJ’s.
In case you’re wondering, the word “Charivari” dates back to the Middle Ages and described a loud public ritual. Seems appropriate.
This year Charivari Detroit is expanding its activities to include fitness, food, fashion and fine arts. They call it F@DETROIT.
The goal is to make the festival “even more fun for family and friends whether you like electronic music or not … and give attendees an up-close and personal interaction with much that is really cool about Detroit.”
Now that’s way cool. It’s also healthy, and a great way hear terrific music at the same time.
On Sunday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Breathe In Detroit, a Detroit-based apparel company, will host yoga and wellness programming called Island Yoga. It is open to people of all ages, sizes and fitness levels. You can be part of flow yoga, music, aerial yoga, performance art, massage, biking, and much more. Island Yoga has been customized to complement the independent dance culture of Charivari as well as add mindfulness and healthy living.
Tickets for Island Yoga are $40 and include access to the Charivari 2016. They can be purchased here.
Here’s the schedule of Island Yoga:
- 10 a.m.: IGNITE YOUR SOUL yoga session with Caren Paskel and DJ Godfather (MAIN STAGE)
- 1 p.m.: TRIBAL VINYASA with Michael McCarthy and Sitara Bird
- 2-4 p.m.: COME FLY WITH ME – Aerial Yoga Play with Detroit FlyHouse: Cortney Kosmala Jackson and Ania Brozda
- 2 p.m.: ISLAND CHILL with Michael Castile
- 3 p.m.: HUSTLE N FLOW with Ashley Oshinsky
- 4 p.m.: GYPSY SOUL SLOW FLOW: with Annette Aquino Schramski and Liz DeFour – music by IZGREYALA
- 5 p.m.: BUDDHA BEATS with Risa Gotlib
- 5 p.m.: SWEET AND SOULFUL: with Joanna Basile
- 5-7 p.m.: BIKES AND YOGA: island bike ride at 5 p.m and yoga class at 6 p.m. (Motown Flowdown with Cindy Spires and music by Mekato.)
- 6 p.m.: ISLAND ACRO PLAYTIME with AcroYoga Ann Arbor (Connor Otto and Colleen Crowley)
- 7:30 pm: SUNSET VINYASA with magical massage: Beth James and Giustina Maria Easton (massage)
Full weekend tickets for the Charivari 2016 music festival are $55 and available here. Anyone 16 and under or 60 and over is free.
For this year’s event Charivari teamed with the Detroit Medical Center, Andiamos, The Belle Isle Conservancy, Healthy Detroit, Detroit Community Yoga, Opportunity Detroit. Wayne County Community College, SEEL and a growing list of Detroit organizations that bring activities to the city.