You know it’s summer in the city when events begin at the downtown Detroit’s five historic parks – Campus Martius Park, Cadillac Square, Capitol Park, Grand Circus and Paradise Valley’s Beatrice Buck Park
It all started June 1 with Quicken Loans Summer in the Parks, featuring free entertainment daily, all summer long in the parks. This year there are more than 500 events focusing on premiere performances, entertainment and health with new sensational programs adding distinct and inventive features for all the parks.
“As one of the most active downtowns in the nation, Detroit’s Quicken Loans Summer in the Parks three-month season stands alone for its exceptional array of free options, beautiful and unique venues and its celebration of Detroit’s finest performers and entertainers,” says Robert Gregory, chief public spaces officer of the Downtown Detroit Partnership.
“Whether it’s a pick-up basketball game in Cadillac Square, indie rock in Capitol Park, a classy night outdoors with the Michigan Opera Theatre in Grand Circus Park, swing dancing in Paradise Valley or a diverse musical lineup at the Beach or Main Stage in Campus Martius Park, downtown Detroit’s free Quicken Loans Summer in the Parks season is sure to please all tastes.”
Throughout the summer season, guests can hear national musical artists taking the main stage at Campus Martius Park with the likes of country music star Clare Dunn, indie rock band American Authors and the father of funk George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic. On the Rhythm & Stage at Grand Circus Park presented by Detroit Entertainment District Association and The Detroit News, visitors can catch a diverse offering of performances, such as the Wise Fools New Mexico performing “See Saw,” a spectacular aerial performance.
The Marketing Associates Beach Party returns each Friday from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at The Beach at Campus Martius Park.
If you’re interested in staying healthy and active check out the Healthy Moves programs with more than 90 exercise activities and enjoy yoga, beach body workouts and tai chi at Campus Martius Park, Cadillac Square and Grand Circus Park.
Here are some of the highlights of this year’s summer season:
- Downtown Street Eats features rotating food trucks and food hut expeditions are at Campus Martius Park and Cadillac Square every weekday
- Live music at the Cadillac Square Lunchtime Acoustics Stage from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays
- Meridian Mid-Day Music series happens every weekday from noon to 2 p.m. at Campus Martius Park
- Thursday after work Mix & Mingle happy hour networking events in Campus Martius Park feature iHeartMedia’s Boji
- 4th Fridays, the monthly, all day music celebration featuring national and local artists, kicks off June 24
- In mid-July, an expanded Faygo Movie Night in the D series begins with blockbuster feature films running every Saturday night at 8 p.m. on the big screen
- Summer Saturday Nights in Capitol Park will have four fun, themed nights of live music, food and drink
- The weekly Sunday Brunch in Capitol Park features specialty drinks, food trucks and live entertainment from DIME acoustic musicians and local variety performers
- Rhythm & Stage presented by Detroit Entertainment District Association and The Detroit News returns on Thursdays in July and August in Grand Circus Park with acts such as, “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare,” the abridged version performed by Outvisible Theatre Company and a season preview from the Michigan Opera Theatre
- Tuesday and Thursday Evenings in Paradise musical performances hosted by the Carr Center run through September 1 in Paradise Valley featuring entertainment by local and national Jazz and R & B favorite
The Detroit SummerFest downtown street party closes out the Summer in the Parks season on August 25-28, with three days of top local and national performances, special activities, and lots of food, drink and fun in all five downtown parks.
The complete schedule listing for all Summer in the Parks activities is at downtowndetroitparks.com