Despite the punch lines and condescension, it has always been there, even when most didn’t see it … interest in Detroit. The Detroit Experience Factory (DXF) knew it, and for a decade has shared the real city with those who wanted to see the real Detroit with its tours.
Formerly known as Inside Detroit, the 10-year-old nonprofit has given more than 70,000 people a true look at the city of Detroit.
With such a history a celebration is in order. The Summer Tour schedule has been expanded. The 2016 DXF Summer Tour Schedule is unprecedented as it triples their offerings from last year and includes 14 brand new public tours.
“There are literally thousands of amazing people, places and projects in this city and we want to showcase them all,” says Jeanette Pierce, executive director at DXF, “By tripling our public tour offerings and constantly creating new custom tours focused on all sorts of themes we hope to continue to show both locals and visitors that there is something for everyone in Detroit.”
Some of the more anticipated tours include:
- Innovation and Inspiration – Go inside some of Detroit’s most innovative projects where you’ll have the opportunity to meet the doers that are inspiring people near and far.
- Detroit Bikes and Sights – Take in some of the best greater downtown has to offer while test driving a Detroit Bike manufactured right here in the city.
- Strolling Supper – Get the inside scoop and enjoy wonderful food at 3 different hot spots…all in one evening.
- Art in the Market – From local, national, and internationally acclaimed muralists to galleries galore, you’ll find a new reason to love the oldest and largest public market in the country!
- Neighborhood Bus Tours – Detroit is much more than downtown and this series of tours will help you connect with some of the city’s most interesting neighborhoods from Grandmont-Rosedale to East English Village and everything in between. First up: Northwest Detroit
For details about the Summer Kickoff, to schedule a custom tour and for the full DXF Summer Tour Schedule visit www.detroitexperiencefactory.org.
As an affiliate of the Downtown Detroit Partnership, the Detroit Experience Factory uses interactive experiences and innovative resources to help newcomers and locals alike get more connected to the people, places and projects in Detroit. It operates Detroit’s community-based Welcome Center at 123 Monroe.
Originally known as Inside Detroit, DXF later became part of a three-3-year collaborative effort with D:hive. It moved into a new Welcome Center last year.
A look at its success can be seen with some simple facts:
- In 2015, DXF conducted 538 separate tours for more than 17,000 individuals
- More than 10,000 people visited the Welcome Center in 2015
- 67% of DXF tour attendees live in Detroit or Metropolitan Detroit
- 95% of DXF bus tours visited neighborhoods outside of Greater Downtown
- 82% of DXF tours are custom experiences for groups or individuals
When so much of the world looked down on the Motor City, DXF saw greatness. For its faith, it was rewarded with success thanks to those who shared that vision.