The holidays can feel like a chore: Making elaborate meals, buying gifts, hosting large gatherings. But, at their core, these magical December days are supposed to be fun and full of joy. That is where the 8 Mile Holiday Haul comes into play.
This holiday season, the Eight Mile Boulevard Association (8MBA) is putting the merry back into the season. It has designed a contest to encourage people to shop local and discover the variety of businesses on Eight Mile Road.
In addition to its shopping centers – Gateway Marketplace (Meijer, Marshall’s, Petco, Applebee’s, Starbucks), Sam’s Club and Belmont (Imperial, Motown Coney, Angeles Fashion) – there are a variety of small businesses with everything metro Detroiters need for the holidays.
To make it interesting, 8MBA is hosting the first 8 Mile Holiday Haul, a social media based shopping contest with a prize worth $350. The first person or team to spend $8 or more and post a picture with #8MileHolidayHaul at eight different businesses on Eight Mile Road will win the 8 Mile Holiday Haul Gift Basket, filled with gifts and prizes from Eight Mile Road businesses. The Association is tracking the hashtag, following along and posting pictures of shoppers.
1. Everyone is eligible – team up with friends, family or groups!
2. Each purchase must be made at a legally operating business on Eight Mile Road in Michigan. Only businesses with 8 Mile Rd in their address will count.
3. You must visit eight different businesses – no repeats.
4. Each purchase must be at least $8 – no adding.
5. All purchases must be made between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve, 2015.
6. At each location, you must check in and post a picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with #8MileHolidayHaul. Tag @Go8MBA and have fun – take a picture with your new goodies or in front of the store!
7. Keep all receipts! To win, you will need to show receipts to verify purchase amount and qualifying businesses.
8. The first person or team to report to 8MBA office at 20500 Conant with eight hashtag pictures and eight receipts will win the 8 Mile Holiday Haul Gift Basket!
Some background: The Eight Mile Boulevard Association (8MBA) was established in 1993 by thirteen communities and three counties along Eight Mile Road along with the Michigan Department of Transportation and the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments, and the Greater Detroit Economic Group to facilitate collaboration between these stakeholders toward the revitalization of Eight Mile Road, with a focus on the corridor from I-94 in the east to I-275 in the west, a span of 27 miles.
8MBA is an IRS-designated 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization which pursues its collaborative mission by linking the efforts of the public and private sectors on projects that make a tangible, positive impact. 8MBA and its partners employ these projects to unlock Eight Mile’s socioeconomic potential, which is limited only by outdated negative perceptions about the corridor; our projects include business assistance, code compliance and public safety interventions, beautification projects and more.
Need some ideas of where to go?
* Find the perfect gift for everyone on your list at the many retail outlets on Eight Mile Road. And for that person who has everything, find a one-of-a-kind treasure at Fred’s Unique Furniture and Antiques.
* Get the furniture you need for holiday hosting at Art Van and Gardner White. And don’t forget Pinter’s Flowerland for your tree, garland and wreath.
* Find festive fashion for all your holiday parties and events at Marshall’s, Angeles Fashion, Ashley Stewart, K&G Fashion and many more.
* Warm up with a cup of joe at Detroit Vintage Coffee, then enjoy some nightlife at Old Detroit, Blue Moose, Applebee’s and more.
* Lana’s Bake Shop and Lucki’s Cheesecakes have all the decadent sweets for the season.
* Take your whole family for a roll at Northland Roller Rink and a bounce at the Bounce House.
* Pick up everything you need for your holiday feasts at our many grocery stores (Kroger, Imperial, Foodland) Or relax and have it catered by Golden Spice or Vassel’s. Don’t forget to pick up plenty of ice at US Ice.