The holiday light display at the Detroit Zoo is so bright it looks like they’ve seen it on the East Coast.
USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards has selected the Detroit Zoo as a one of 20 zoos in to vie for the top spot in its Best Zoo Lights in the US contest. You can help our zoo win by voting … every day … on multiple devices through noon on December 21. Click here to vote.
Vote soon and vote often. Right now our zoo is in fourth place and we can’t have that. You did it before. You voted and Detroit was named the Best Sports City in the US in USA Today poll. Thanks to your votes the Detroit Riverfront ranked as one of the Top 10 riverfronts in the US.
You voted again and the Detroit Zoo’s Arctic Ring of Life ranked No. 2 in the USA Today 10 Best Zoo Exhibits and Mackinac Island was named the second best Under-the-Radar Romantic Destination in the world.
Second place is good but first is better. So let’s vote and get our friends to vote for the Detroit Zoo’s Wild Lights in the Best Zoo Lights contest. Share it on social media.
“Wild Lights is a breathtaking and magical experience. To have the community vote their zoo’s light display into the No. 1 spot would be a wonderful way to top off the holiday season,” said Ron Kagan, Detroit Zoological Society executive director and CEO.
Wild Lights is a sight to behold. There are 5 million LED lights illuminating buildings, trees and more than 100 animal sculptures along a path through the front half of the Detroit Zoo. There is also the 22-foot-tall Polar Plunge snow slide plus ice sculptures, carousel rides, live entertainment, arts and crafts, a life-sized gingerbread house, photos with Santa Claus (through Dec. 23) and the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition. You can also see “The Polar Express” in a 4-D theater.
Wild Lights is held on select nights through Dec. 31.
Here is a list of the other zoos in the competition and the current standings. Come on! We can’t let an Ohio zoo beat us!!
- Festival of Lights at the Cincinnati Zoo – Cincinnati
- Lights Before Christmas at the Toledo Zoo – Toledo, Ohio
- Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo – Detroit
- Wildlights at the Columbus Zoo – Columbus, Ohio
- Zoo Lights at the Memphis Zoo – Memphis
- ZooLights at the Phoenix Zoo – Phoenix
- Christmas at the Indianapolis Zoo – Indianapolis
- Lights Before Christmas at the Riverbanks Zoo – Columbia, S.C.
- Zoolights at Point Defiance Zoo – Tacoma, Wash.
- L.A. Zoo Lights at the Los Angeles Zoo – Los Angeles
- Wild Lights at the St. Louis Zoo – St. Louis
- ZooLights at the Lincoln Park Zoo – Chicago
- ZooLights at the Oregon Zoo – Portland, Ore.
- WildLights at the Woodland Park Zoo – Seattle
- Jungle Bells at the San Diego Zoo – San Diego
- Zoo Lights at the Houston Zoo – Houston
- ZooLights at the Smithsonian National Zoo – Washington, D.C.
- Zoo Lights at the Denver Zoo – Denver
- ZOOLights at the Jacksonville Zoo – Jacksonville
- ZooLights at the Oakland Zoo – Oakland
Click here to watch the leader board.