Small Business Saturday is tomorrow. There are dozens and dozens of small businesses to visit in Detroit. We thought we’d check with our friends at Southwest Solutions for ideas on some places to shop in their neighborhoods.
Carrie Budzinski, development communications manager, passed on the names of some of the entrepreneurs the organization has help train and finance as they started and grew their businesses.
- All About Technology, 6450 Michigan Ave. Computers and their accessories are always welcome gifts … and so is training on how best to use them. All About Technology is a Certified Minority Business Enterprise.
- Café con Leche Nord, 2990 W. Grand Blvd. In 2007, Jordi Carbonell and wife Melissa Fernandez opened Café Con Leche on West Vernor at Scotten across the street from Clark Park. At that time it was one of the worst street corners in the neighborhood. Since then, the coffee shop has been a connection point for the whole community. It is a great place to gather, connect, learn, and explore Southwest.
- Cutz Lounge (barber shop), 19655 Grand River Ave. Want to spiff up for the holidays or have a special someone who would enjoy personal grooming services? This shop focuses on the well- groomed male while also serving to sharpen the wardrobe.
- Detroit Farm and Garden, 1759 1st St. 17. Great gifts for the urban farmer or landscaper. DFG’s goal is to help local economies through urban agriculture and food sovereignty as well as beautify Detroit’s neighborhoods.
- Detroit Loves You Guest Home (Airbnb) in Virginia Park. Here’s a great place for a staycation in Detroit and help out the neighborhood. It’s two blocks from Woodward Ave. A night or a weekend stay would be a great gift plus 10 percent of the gross revenue is invested in the neighborhood. The Detroit Loves You Guest Home is the first Airbnb.
- JP’s Hand Car Wash and Detailing Center, 16101 Plymouth Road. Cars get really dirty in the winter and JP’s prides itself on providing a 100% hand wash. How about a gift certificate as a stocking stuffer? JP’s Hand Car Wash and Detailing Center is a 2015 NEIdeas $10,000 challenge winner. NEIdeas rewards existing businesses with the best ideas for growth in Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park.
- Model Behavior Hair Salon, 7721 W. Vernor Highway. Someone in your family or a friend will be really happy with a gift certificate for this beauty salon. Model Behavior Hair Salon was founded by Helen Shaw after she was laid off from her job at an auto plant 10 years ago. She became a cosmetologist and opened her salon, Model Behavior, in the heart of southwest Detroit.
- Rubbed, 2015 Michigan Ave. Need a caterer for a party or want to take someone to lunch? Rubbed has dine-in, carry-out, delivery and catering services.
- Sacred Space Yoga Center, 2930 E. Jefferson Ave. Yoga is one of the healthiest forms of exercise. Owner and founder Trina Campbell has been teaching yoga for more than 15 years and is certified in Christ-centered yoga. Besides Sacred Space Yoga Center her ministry also includes no-profit entities H.A.N.D.S. UP Yoga (Healing and Nurturing Deprived Sons), Selfie Yoga for Girls (building a better reflection) and Save a Space for ME (domestic abuse survivors and single mothers). How about a gift certificate that also offers spiritual encouragement?
- Sister Pie, 8066 Kercheval Ave. Sister Pie launched during Thanksgiving 2012 and is a terrific place to get your holiday cookies and pies. Cookies are carefully mixed in small batches and offer different tastes. Examples include buckwheat chocolate chip cookies and pie sandwich cookies with mint & lime buttercream. Each pie crust is hand-made with high-fat French butter and unbleached, all-purpose flour. The fillings are often non-traditional. Examples include grapefruit black pepper meringue, salted maple, ginger peach biscuit, and black bean & green chile.
- The Kid Network Daycare, 18451 Joy Road. Have a friend with child in need of daycare? Help with some of the cost could make a great gift. The Kid Network Daycare encourages kids to use critical thinking and problem solving skills and teaches them to cultivate positive self-image, independence, and interdependence.
You can also find a comprehensive Detroit business directory here.