It’s time to get your walking shoes on and see Detroit.
Not sure where to go? Never fear. As part of a new campaign called Walk Detroit there are more than 50 strategically placed signs at various intersections covering 100 city blocks of Detroit. The easy-to-use signs will highlight routes to take throughout the city.
“DDP is excited for the campaign to bring a renewed energy to the city by encouraging you to discover downtown Detroit,” says the website.
Here’s how you can Walk Detroit:
- Register below for #WalkDetroit
- Pick up a special offer card to local participating businesses at Detroit Experience Factory’s Welcome Center at 123 Monroe Street
- Walk your city! Snap photos along the mapped route, found here: www.weknowdetroit.org/walk-map
- Post your photo to your social media accounts. In your caption, tag @Downtown Detroit Partnership or @DDPDetroit with your current location, and hashtag #WalkDetroit
- Keep walking! DDP will give away $25 gift cards from area businesses to randomly selected #WalkDetroit participants.
- All participants will be entered to win a Garmin vivofit 2. The winner will be selected at the completion of the campaign
There are just a few guidelines to follow:
- All photos must tag @Downtown Detroit Partnership or @DDPDetroit and the hashtag #WalkDetroit
- You must be in the photo and it must include a location on the route
- You must have a public Facebook, Instagram and/or Twitter account
- You must begin the tour between 12:01 a.m. on July 16 – 11:59 p.m. November 30
- You must register to qualify for prizes and you will be added to DDP’s newsletter for monthly communications
Walk Detroit is made possible through a grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and in partnership with the Walk [Your City] (WYC). WYC is a civic startup focused on building more livable cities.