OK, it’s official. We had 16.7 inches of snow fall in parts of Detroit over the weekend. It was indeed a winter blast.
Now it’s time for the real Winter Blast.
Next weekend (Feb. 6-8) the fun returns to Campus Martius on Friday from 11 a.m.–11 p.m., on Saturday from 11 a.m.–11 p.m. and on Sunday from 11 a.m.–9:00 p.m. with 11th annual Winter Blast.
All the cool stuff is back … the Snow Slide, snowshoeing, dog sledding exhibitions, great food and drink, skating and music, but this year there’s a new thrill ride. If you’re a daredevil you’re gonna love this.
The Bedrock Zip Line Adventure will give you a cool 20-second rush as you fly 300 feet across the sky … the length of a football field. It is the longest, fastest mobile zip line available and allows two people to zip simultaneously on two lines 34 feet in the air.
As I said the Snow Slide is back. It towers more than 30 feet high and has three lanes. You get an exhilarating 200-foot ride in just seven seconds.
The dog sledding presentations will be led by professional sled dog racer and Michigan native Amanda Vogel and her Snomad Racing Sled Dogs. It’s their sixth appearance at the festival. With more than 10 years training and racing sled dogs, Vogel is one of the top competitors in mid-distance sled dog racing in the lower 48 states. The Snomad Racing Sled Dogs travel throughout the U.S. and Canada to compete against other teams and will be participating in the upcoming UP200 Sled Dog Race on February 12 up in Marquette.
Admission to the 2015 Winter Blast is $2, three canned goods/non-perishable items or a children’s book, which will go toward helping to fight hunger in metro Detroit and continue the festival’s commitment to fostering literacy. This is the sixth consecutive year Winter Blast has teamed with Matrix Human Services to help those in need during the winter.
Once you’ve paid your fee here are some other Winter Blast events just waiting for you:
- Marshmallow roasting
- Free skating all weekend
- Ice sculptures including a large rendition of “The Spirit of Detroit” statue
- Snowmaking with special snow cannons
- Country, rock, blues, pop, acoustic, Americana, funk and soul on three stages located in the Compuware Lobby and throughout the festival in the Tim Hortons Comfort Zones. There will be more than 50 entertainment acts performing.
- The Winter Fun Lab inside the Compuware Building. Activities include “Frostology,” LIVE dramatic demonstrations on the Kids Stage of how different materials react to extremely low temperatures, hands-on activity stations with slime, science of sound, static electricity demonstrations and more. There are also giveaway offers including family four-packs to the Michigan Science Center.
- Complimentary hot chocolate and regular coffee sampling each afternoon, with hot chocolate served for free at noon, 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., and coffee on the odd hours of 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. More than 2,500 free cups of warm beverages will be available each hour on a first-come, first-served basis inside of two Tim Hortons Comfort Zones.
- Live skating demos at the Skating Exhibitions from synchronized ice-skating teams to up-and-coming couples. Five distinct ice skating clubs, including the legendary Detroit Skating Club, will perform throughout the entire weekend
- Hockey Shot competition. You’ll have a chance to shoot and score cool prizes from Great Expressions, the Winter Blast and Detroit Red Wings.
- Great food at restaurants, eateries and caterers at locations throughout the Winter Blast grounds and elsewhere. New places this year include The Whitney, Detroit Seafood Market, Golden Fleece, Andiamo Italia/Ren Cen and Mystic Kettle. Returning eateries are Mercurio Foods, Jackson’s Five Star Catering, The Almond Hut, Bed Rock Turkey Legs and more.
- A guaranteed-to-win RRRoll Up The Rim To Win cup when exiting the festival. RRRoll Up The Rim To Win runs at Tim Hortons Cafe & Bake Shop restaurants across the United States starting February 2 and will run throughout the month or until cup supplies last. Prizes include coffee, cars, gift cards and more. Every Cup handed out at Winter Blast is a winning cup.
You also have the opportunity to win some downtown winter fun with the Spirit of Detroit Contest. One lucky winner will receive a prize package of Detroit delights including a two-night stay at the Westin Book Cadillac, four tickets to see a Detroit Red Wings regular season home game, a dinner certificate for four at Santorini and Fountain Bistro and a party for 20 at Bookies Bar & Grille.
Contestants can enter online at www.winterblast.com or in person during the Winter Blast at any of the festival information booths. Rules and information are also available.
If, after all this, you’ve rocked, ziplined, snowshoed and sledded ‘til you’re ready to drop you can take advantage of the discounted weekend rates at “Spend the Night in the City” at Westin Book Cadillac Hotel … a special deal from the Winter Blast.
The Winter Blast is a collaborative effort from many sponsors led by Meridian Health Plan as the title sponsor. Other sponsors include Quicken Loans, Bedrock Real Estate Services, the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation/Detroit DDA, Flagstar Bank, General Motors Foundation, Michigan Lottery, Tim Hortons, MetroPCS, Greektown Casino, St. John Providence Health System, Great Expressions, Great Lakes Beverage, Ilitch Holdings, Marketing Associates, Penske Corporation, Pepsi, Redico, DTE Energy, National Vision, Westin Book Cadillac, Food Should Taste Good, US Park, Cricket Wireless, American Laser, University of Phoenix, Buffalo Wild Wings, Sachse Construction, Made In Detroit, Tito’s Vodka, Bagger Dave’s, EJ Gallo, Olga’s Kitchen, Airea Studio, Huron- Clinton Metroparks and WH Canon.
Have a blast!