Come November 21 you can walk in a winter wonderland downtown as the Season of Winter Magic begins with the lighting of the 60-ft Norwegian Spruce tree in Campus Martius.
The tree lighting is just the beginning. You can ice-skate at The Rink, take a horse and carriage ride, watch street performers, enjoy great restaurants and live music and shop ‘til you drop. The Somerset Collection CityLoft has nearly 40 Somerset retailers from Gucci to Gap and there is a special “kids only” store, Santa’s Wonderland presented by Somerset Collection. They are in the First National Building at 660 Woodward Ave.
This year there are a couple of new things to check out.
- Rink Side Bar - heated indoor/outdoor seating area, a bar and panoramic views of Campus Martius Park
- Showcase D’ Holidays - five consecutive weekends showcasing Detroit restaurants and live music in Cadillac Square
- The Snowman Collection presented by Somerset Collection features 25 designer snowmen inside a 30 foot x 18 foot igloo-shaped structure in Cadillac Square.
- The Rink at Campus Martius Park: Skate rental: $3; Admission: $8, adults; $7, children 12 and under and seniors 50 and up. Open daily Friday, November 21 through Sunday, March 1. Broomball takes place Monday and Tuesday nights in January and February.
- Rink Side Bar: A cozy indoor/outdoor seating area with heaters, a bar and panoramic views of Campus Martius Park. Open weekends and holidays
- Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides: Snuggle up and enjoy a ride through the magically decorated streets of downtown Detroit. Weekends, Friday, November 21 through Sunday, December 28, $10 per person.
- Street Performances: Jugglers, stilt walkers and fine artists will entertain Campus Martius visitors. Weekends, Friday, November 21 through Sunday, December 28
- Showcase D’ Holidays: Restaurant tastings from The Whitney, Ottava Via, Slow’s BBQ, The Rattlesnake Club, Joe Muer’s Seafood, Fountain Bistro and more, in a heated tent on Cadillac Square complemented by 40 music performances from Detroit acts: Kalido, Thornetta Davis, Hot Sauce, Sean Blackman’s In transit among others. A portion of the proceeds benefit The Salvation Army, Detroit Goodfellows, THAW, Matrix Human Services and COTS. Friday and Saturday nights, November 21 through December 20, from 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. Food service: 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Somerset Collection CityLoft – First National Building, 660 Woodward Avenue: Nearly 40 Somerset Collection retailers, from Gucci to Gap, will come to downtown Detroit for the holidays. In partnership with Bedrock Real Estate Services, Somerset Collection CityLoft provides a model home for retail downtown. Stores include 7 for All Mankind, Aveda, The Body Shop, The Buckle, Cache, Eddie Bauer, Icing, Lego, Lilly Pulitzer, Lacoste, Paradise Pen, Pottery Barn and Pottery Barn Kids, Ralph Lauren, Swarovski, The Detroit Shoppe, Thomas Pink, plus live DJs, carolers and more. Open December 3 through December 23, Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Santa’s Wonderland presented by Somerset Collection – First National Building, 660 Woodward Avenue: “Kids only” store. For a $5 donation, children receive five gold coins to buy gifts that can be wrapped on site. While kids shop, adults can get a free coffee or cocoa at Roasting Plant. Merchandise is donated by Somerset Collection retailers. Proceeds benefit the Children’s Tumor Foundation. Open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, November 21 for Tree Lighting and Monday through Saturday, December 3 through December 23, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Snowman Collection presented by Somerset Collection – Cadillac Square Igloo: Housed in a 30 x 18 foot igloo-shaped structure on Cadillac Square, 25 designer snowmen will be decked out by Somerset retailers. Sponsored by Quicken Loans and open daily November 21 through December 23, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Detroit Shoppe – 1261 Woodward Avenue: Showcasing people, places and products that have shaped Detroit. All proceeds benefit Detroit charities. Open November 21, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; During Lions home games (December 7 and 14), 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. plus a pop-up presence at Somerset Collection CityLoft (December 3 through December 23, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
As I said, it all begins with the tree lighting in Campus Martius at 6:30 pm on Friday, November 21.
For more Winter Magic information, please visit www.campusmartiuspark.org.