February usually makes you think of cardboard hearts with love notes scribbled on them, but it’s also the perfect time to remind people that February is also American Heart Month. For the past ten years the American Heart Association has been trying to get the word out about women’s heart health with the Go Red for Women campaign.
Unfortunately, up until the last decade there was very little known about heart disease in women. There are still a ton of misconceptions and myths about this disease. Heart disease does not discriminate. Here are five important facts and statistics about women and heart disease.
- Heart disease kills 1 in 3 women each year. That is the equivalent to one women dying every minute.
- It is the number one killer of women, more so than all forms of cancer deaths combined. For example: 1 out of 31 women die from breast cancer, whereas 1 out of 3 women die from heart disease.
- Of African American women ages 20 and older, 46.9 percent have cardiovascular disease.
- Women who smoke and are on birth control are at a 20 percent greater risk of heart disease.
- Hispanic women are more likely to develop heart disease 10 years earlier than Caucasian women.
But it’s not all bad news. There’s something to be done about this. Check out how you can get involved in metro Detroit!
If you are in the mood to dance for a good cause the Ukrainian Culture Center is hosting the Red Hot Disco Reunion on Friday February 8 at 8:00 pm. Tickets are $15.00 in advance, or $20.00 at the door. Be sure to wear your red and white outfits for this party. Proceeds will go to the American Heart Association. For more information contact Susan Ayotte at 248-895-0787. The Ukrainian Culture Center is located at 26601 Ryan Road, Warren Michigan.
If you would like to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Go Red for Women campaign the American Heart Association is putting on a luncheon on February 15, 2013 at MGM Grand Hotel. This event starts at 9:00 am and will continue until 1:30 pm. Tickets are $175.00 per person. For more information, visit www.detroitgoredforwomen.org or call 248.936.5835.
If shopping is more your speed, the Somerset Collection has a pop up Valentine’s Day shop that will be open until February 18, 2013. For a $5.00 donation the store will gift wrap your purchase. Those donations will go to Go Red for Women. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, pick up a gift for your sweetie while helping out a great cause.
The American Heart Association of South Eastern Michigan is also looking for volunteers for their Go Red Passion Committee. If you are interested in giving your time you can find out more information here. There will be a new volunteer orientation on February 20, 2013. If you are interested or need more information you can contact Stefanie Worth via email or by phone 248-936-5832.