Here is what we can surmise from the Comerica Hatch Detroit Contest 2012 list of finalists: We love the water, seriously fun food (vegan soul and Spanish tapas) and pie. Oh, and did I mention pie?
Moments ago, the team at Hatch Detroit announced the four entries that will vie for the $50,000 prize, which will be used to start a new business in the city. There were:
- Detroit River Sports: The business will bring kayaks and stand-up paddleboards around the Detroit waterfront.
- Detroit Vegan Soul: The goal is to go from a successful catering and food-delivery business to a full storefront.
- La Feria: This hotspot promises authentic Spanish tapas and a cool wine bar in a snazzy setting that will keep the city bouncing.
- Rock City Pies: You can find them here and there already with their pop-up shop and made-to-order business.
Are you prepared for the greatness that is about to befall Detroit? I mean, you add Apple Caramel Pie to the mix and we could be blasting off into a new level of fine dining in the city.
But your job isn’t over next. There is one more voting round to go. It starts Sept. 24 and ends Sept 27, when the final winner is announced. You can vote up to three times a day for your favorite.
I also recommend you attend the Hatch Off party on Sept. 26 – every one of the above-mentioned four winners has to be there to get grilled on their business concept. This ticketed event promises to be a brutal one, so get ready to hear the down and dirty on their business plans and their hopes for Detroit.
The Hatch Off Judges will be:
• Rufus Bartell from Simply Casual
• Lydia Gutierrez from Hacienda Mexican Foods
• Sean Harrington from Centaur and The Town Pump
• Brett VanderKamp from New Holland Brewery
And keep in touch with the finals through the Hatch Facebook page and on Twitter!